Water Repellency and Protection
Specialty Chemicals with a Proven Ability to Provide Water Repellency and Enhanced Protection to Common Construction Substrates
Improve Water Repellency and Protection of Common Construction Substrates
When used as a post-treatment, either in-factory or onsite, silane, siloxane and silicone resins from Dow Consumer Solutions have a proven history of providing water repellency and enhanced protection to common construction substrates.
We offer a range of waterproofing chemicals designed to meet your specific project, material or formulation and sustainability needs, including:
- Pure chemicals, mixtures and emulsions
- Solvent-dilutable, water-based and low-VOC options
- Options for the post-treatment of both new and old concrete, concrete blocks and roof tiles, fiber-reinforced cement boards, damp-proof coursing, clay bricks, floor tiles, sandstone, granite, limestone, marble, gypsum and wood
- Waterproofing products based on Dow Consumer Solutions' extensive silicon-based chemicals expertise and 50 years of construction industry experience
Combined with technical expertise and advice from Dow Consumer Solutions experts, the right silicon-based products can deliver ideal performance for your specific application.
Why Choose Post-Treatment Water Repellents from Dow Consumer Solutions?
These hydrophobing surface treatments:
- Provide protection against water absorption and resulting damage such as rebar corrosion, efflorescence, freeze-thaw damage, mold and mildew
- Offer durable protection against water absorption with minimal impact on substrate appearance
- Extend the life of building substrates for years in the toughest environments
- Are weather resistant and long lasting
- Are easy to use, easy to handle and highly effective at low concentrations
How silane and siloxane post-treatment water repellents work:
- When applied to the surface of your substrate, they penetrate deeply, reacting with the substrate to provide durable water repellency
- When cured, they allow water vapor within the substrate to escape while preventing liquid water from entering
By keeping substrates dry, these water repellents:
- Reduce water absorption, lowering the absorption of salts such as chloride ions, a root cause of corrosion, and reduce the effect of efflorescence
- Reduce thermal conductivity and increase the energy efficiency of the building