Improved Reliability and Durability in Harsh Environments
Smart metering technologies for electricity, gas and water strive for much more than just meter-to-cash designs. Silicone solutions can help improve reliability where alternative materials can no longer fulfill the needs. Long-term durability in uncertain and harsh environments is critical for lasting efficiency and accuracy – especially as smart meters are being woven into the Internet of Things with interactive communications.
- Silicone dielectric gels show greater durability, better resistance to stress from thermal cycling and less water absorption than polyurethanes.
- Silicone RTV and hot-melt adhesives outperform epoxies and polyurethanes with better elongation and flexibility to handle thermal expansion.
- Silicones cause less stress on electronic components during thermal cycling than epoxies and polyurethanes.
- Silicone thermal interface materials offer a superior combination of thermal conductivity, dielectric strength and low thermal stress compared to competitive materials.
- Silicones can simplify processing and speed of production compared to polyurethanes and epoxies.