Gels and Encapsulants
Minimizing Stress to Maximize Reliability
Whatever your application, shielding sensitive components against harsh conditions is critical to ensuring reliable performance. For nearly seven decades, silicone encapsulants and gels from Dow Consumer Solutions have helped improve the reliability and performance of complex or extremely delicate components against the most demanding environments.
These highly processable, low modulus materials cure effectively, even in layers several centimeters thick, to provide flexible protection against environmental contamination, vibration and thermal stress. They also possess excellent dielectric properties for effective insulation against high voltages. Specialty grades offer additional features, such as low-temperature or ultraviolet cure, stability in temperatures down to -80°C, controlled volatility and thixotropic properties. Many of our products are solventless to minimize the need for special storage, handling or ventilation.
As a Class of Materials, Silicones Generally Offer Demonstrable Benefits Over Alternative Materials:
- Extraordinary protection against shock and vibration
- Superior thermal stability for more reliable performance at sustained temperatures between -45°C and 200°C
- None of the toxicity issues, helping to reduce or eliminate special handling precautions
- Ease of repair when module rework is necessary
- Greater hydro-stability and stronger resistance to chemicals and UV radiation
- Greater protection – especially from silicone gels – against mechanical stress caused by thermal cycling or mismatched coefficient of thermal expansion
- Simpler processing without the need for oven drying or concerns about exotherms
While encapsulants and gels offer many of the same benefits, each material class offers distinguishing advantages.
|Greater resistance to abrasion and damage||Maximum stress relief|
|Easily repairable for rework||Self-healing|
|Cure with minimal shrinkage and no solvents or cure by-products||Flame-resistant gels with Underwriters Laboratories’ UL 94V flammability classification|
Unique options for:
Unique options for:
Dow Consumer Solutions portfolio of silicone encapsulants and gels offers a broad variety of viscosities before cure, allowing either shorter cycle times or longer, more controlled flow according to your needs. Our broad selection also offers flexible options for simple, room-temperature cure or accelerated heat-curing for enhanced productivity.