Invisible Champions for a Visibly Better World
Responsibly delivering specialty materials for consumer health, resiliency, longevity and progress
At Dow Consumer Solutions, sustainability influences everything we do. We work across the value chain to accelerate innovative solutions that deliver sustainability performance improvements to conserve resources, support more efficient manufacturing processes, and help consumers live healthier and more convenient lives. We will continue to raise the bar, every day, to demonstrate how we play a positive role in society and for the planet as we create shared value.
Enabling Sustainability Performance Goals
As a global science and chemical company, we are in a unique position to help impact sustainability and solve world challenges – from increasing the energy efficiency of buildings to improving people’s health and more. We work with customers and other value chain partners to gain insights on their sustainability needs and criteria across multiple key performance indicators, including ingredient innovation, packaging optimization and supply chain operations. By collaborating with like-minded partners at the intersection of business, government and society, we help drive the transition to a more sustainable society.
Quality Values for a Good Life
Brands win when they create products that improve people’s lives and offer positive benefits without compromising personal values. We help deliver those solutions that improve consumers’ lives and align with their values. Our market-leading insights and technical expertise allows us to help brand owners deliver the data consumers want so they can make informed choices.
Raising the Bar, Every Day
A company of our size has a higher purpose in society, to not only meet sustainability standards, but to set them. Dow’s 2025 Sustainability Goals provide a framework for our efforts. Through these ambitious 10-year goals, Dow is committed “to redefine the role of business in society.”
As part of our operating discipline, we look for and implement process and product improvements including: carbon footprint reduction, ensure product safety, measure sustainable chemistry, optimize use of renewable raw materials, using life cycle analysis and systems thinking.
Here’s how we’re raising the bar in Dow Consumer Solutions:
Footprint: World-Leading Operations
- Our Midland, Michigan, site was recognized by the American Chemical Council with a waste minimization award. The site developed a program to reduce spent sulfuric acid to which the site improved waste reduction by 17 percent in 12 months.
- A site in Brazil developed a novel solution to reduce silica fume emissions from its five production furnaces. Silica fume is a very fine solid material generated during silicon metal production. The site significantly reduced emissions by expanding capacity of an existing system to collect the silica fume, and then used the byproduct to extend the life of concrete.
- In 2014, Dow Performance Silicones set a goal to reduce energy intensity by 45 percent by 2021. Far ahead of its end date, Dow Corning had reduced energy intensity by 41 percent at the end of 2016. Dow Corning achieved this improvement through execution of a multimillion-dollar energy-efficiency project portfolio with a total savings of $14 million in annual utility costs.
- Our portfolio of cellulosics and their derivatives are sustainably sourced from suppliers that implement certified sustainable forestry practices.
Handprint: Solutions to World Challenges
- In India, the majority of people wash their clothes by hand and consume a lot of water by rinsing soap out of the clothes. We created an easy rinse soap that requires far fewer rinses, to save water and people’s time. Read more about this R&D 100 Finalist.
- Our experts work with customers to develop high-value formulations that help address natural resource scarcity and support cleaner, more efficient manufacturing processes to deliver against sustainability priorities.
Blueprint: Thought Leadership and Action
- As a trusted collaborator we’re helping formulators and brand owners identify their sustainability goals and deliver on the product claims that drive market value. Read more about one such collaboration.